The following 8 tips for returning to daily activities after a car accident are only for educational purposes and are not medical advice. These tips assume that there was not major trauma damage, unhealed fractures, severe whiplash or other complicating factors. Please seek the professional advice of a physician if you feel that you have been injured in any type of accident. Chiropractors have been found to be helpful in evaluating and treating auto accident related injuries.
- Avoid sitting in one position for long periods.
- Periodically stand and stretch.
- Sit at your workstation so that the upper part of your arm rests close to your body and your back and feet are well supported.
- Adjust the car seat when driving so that your elbows and knees are loosely bent.
- When shopping or carrying items, use a cart or hold things close to the body for support.
- Avoid contact sports or strenuous exercise for the first few weeks to prevent further injury.
- Ask your health professional about other sporting or recreational activities.
- Make your sleeping bed comfortable. The pillow should be adjusted to support the neck at a comfortable height.
Call your Maitland chiropractor today for an appointment to see what may be appropriate in your specific case.